The Lake Plan will seek to understand the different ways that residents interact with the Lake, as well as the wants and needs of the community in order to facilitate those interactions. It will then undertake feasibility studies for implementation and improvements that allow residents and visitors to access the rich experiences that Lake Simcoe has to offer, all while being environmentally sustainable. The strategy will also consider the impacts of a Lake strategy on in-land elements of tourism, transportation, parking, and other considerations.
The purpose of the Lake Plan is to:
- Understand and illustrate the community's wants and needs for access and connection to the Lake including differences based on the make-up and sometimes unique identities of the various settlement areas. Identify the challenges posed and how they may be managed.
- Guide lake access parks and road ends planning/design and land decisions (including acquisition and disposition and distinguishing features that should be added or removed (e.g. which access points should support or promote lake access for motorized boats and which should be fully disabled for this use) ;
- Review possibility of Town operated port/docks/moorings; provide recommended locations, estimates, phased implementations, and preliminary site diagrams.
- Create a plan to for sustained economic benefits of being a lakeside community;
- Create a plan to encourage and facilitate additional recreational opportunities including boating, kayaking, paddle boarding and swimming etc.;
- Create a plan to attract business opportunities (as desired by the community) near Lake access parks and road ends;
- Guide for programming recommendations for lake access parks and road ends;
- Identify key park elements which contribute to year- round enjoyment and greater continuity;
- Inform budgetary decisions; implementation timelines
- Guide annual maintenance of recommended improvements.