Project Update & Next Steps - June 25, 2020
Over the course of one week, more than 100 residents in the Big Bay Point area have participated in a survey about the road end on the 30th side-road south. We're thrilled with the immediate engagement and level of response. Staff understand that this space is important to you, which is why we're making it a priority to find a solution as soon as possible.
While there is always a range of opinion and we unfortunately can't please everyone, we're determined to find a happy medium that will balance the diverse needs of residents and ultimately make your visit a pleasant one. One thing that was made clear to us is that the majority of you want the space to remain how it has been.
You told us that...
- You want all users of the space to be respectful of the multiple ways it's used. We all have fun differently.
- You want users to be thoughtful about people in the space when uses conflict. For example, being safe and considerate when launching kayaks while others are trying to enjoy the shoreline for water play or quiet reflection.
- You want everyone to take their garbage with them, not leave it behind.
- You want everyone to be considerate about the level of noise created.
- You don't want parking issues or traffic congestion on the surrounding streets.
Our Next Steps & Action Plan
- We are taking down the chain in hopes that the community can safely and respectfully manage in this space.
- We have spoken with Friday Harbour and they have committed to no longer sending boat traffic to this location.
- We are actively reviewing the properties around the lake access point against the Shoreline By-Law and any necessary corrections will be requested.
- We will continue to look at issues of access and enjoyment of Lake Simcoe here and across our shoreline in a broader review.